Wednesday, January 31, 2007

See Dec. 21 post. (SNOW Revisited!)

I just love the "Diary of a Snow Shoveler". We are getting another 4 or more inches of snow today. The last snow has not even finished melting yet. I think back to my younger days when I loved the snow, but it can be dangerous when sledding or tubing. Let me create the setting here:

When I was really young we had a road on a really big hill right beside our house. A bunch of us kids would always get together when it snowed and slide down the hill on our sleds. Well, my dad had a rack for the back of his truck for hauling cattle in it and he would store it securely at the bottom of the hill over to the side. For some reason, when I slid down the hill one time, my steering on my sled froze and I ended up sliding toward the steel structure and noticed that there was a space that I might be able to duck and miss the cross-beam. I ducked my head and dragged my feet to decrease my velocity but at the last minute heard a sickening thud. Needless to say, I didn't remember getting back to the house, but I did remember my mother's dismay at seeing my bloodied head.

Tubing is another winter sport that I discovered when I was in high school. My cousin and I would go out to the reservoir and slide down the back of the dam on old tire tubes. This sport caught on rapidly with the others and soon we shaped the snow into moguls and ramps built up for added enjoyment and to challenge our many senses. After flying down the hill and zooming off the ramp, holding tightly to the tube, the landing had a bouncy effect that jolted our bodies and limbs likewise. We soon tired of this level and moved on the building a pyramid of people on one tube. All I can say of this idea is, WRONG move. This structure change on the tube made for a faster glide down the hill and also a higher altitude in the launch off the ramp. The effect of the speed and added height of the jump made had its effect on the tube as well, as in the tube launched in a different direction than its passengers. The desired effect was soon forgotten by those of us who had their eyes open and realized the tube was no longer under us! This wasn't too bad for the people on the bottom of the pyramid, but for the top one(usually me), it was a sudden glimpse of life before my very eyes as to how the landing was going to turn out. The odd thing about this was that we would lick our wounds, laugh hysterically, and head back up the hill for more!

Oh, well, back to the here and now. I hear we are suppose to get 4 to 6 more inches of this ****Ing snow tomorrow night!!!

c

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites AddThis Feed Button