Friday, March 28, 2008

Remodeling project turns "Big"!


We are deep into the destruction and reconstruction of the major rooms of our home. We are basically gutting our kitchen and replacing it with a nice new one. I have been making those oh-so-fun decisions of...for instance...wood versus tile... and Oak versus Cherry versus painted cabinets...and stainless or cast iron. ARGH...I have such a headache just typing it out! Also, I would be happy if I never had to touch a popcorn ceiling again in my life!

When my husband and I started this "project", we certainly had not forseen the problems that were lurking in the dark for us. For example, while we were scraping wallpaper (oh, and I never want to scrape wallpaper again in my life) off the living room walls, a dark stain started to appear, which turned into parts of the sheetrock coming off with the peeling wallpaper. We decided to put a small hole in the troubled area and detected rotted wood and bits of wood shavings. We called a contractor and he said that we had termite nests, but that they were inactive. We were told that the whole front wall of the house that we had to replace a main header. Two thousand dollars later and we are back on track with our original plan.

Right now, we have picked out our cabinets (a nice Honey Oak) and have talked to a contractor about installing the cabinets. Now we need to decide if we are going to texture the ceilings ourselves (I'm thinking not) or hiring someone to blow the ceilings (good choice in my opinion). I'll blog more as progress continues.

C

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Add to Technorati Favorites AddThis Feed Button